Can contributions be remitted for office staff or staff not covered by a collective bargaining agreement?

At the discretion of the Board of Trustees, an employer who is signatory to a Collective Bargaining Agreement may also enter into a Participation Agreement allowing employees who are not covered by a Bargaining Agreement to participate in the Southwest Carpenters Health and Welfare Benefit Plan. Payments are at a flat monthly rate. Please contact the Administrative Office for information and eligibility requirements. If interested in Non-Bargaining Coverage, contact an Employer Services Representative.

To enroll your Non-Bargaining employees in the Trust’s Health and Welfare coverage, all of the following conditions must be met:

  1. Non-Bargaining employees of a contributing employer for whom the Trust coverage is to be provided must regularly work at least 30 hours per week;
  2. All Non-Bargaining employees of a contributing employer who regularly work at least 30 hours per week must be enrolled under the Trust’s coverage; and
  3. The contributing employer must pay at least 50% of the cost of HMO coverage for all eligible Non-Bargaining employees. The cost of coverage for eligible dependents may be paid by either the contributing employer (in whole or in part) and/or by the employee through payroll deduction. You are permitted to charge your employee the difference between the HMO rate and the Fee-for-Service PPO rate.
  4. The effective date of coverage for a new hire is on the first day of the first calendar month following 30 consecutive days of full time employment of at least 30 hours per week. With the exception of newborns, the Trust will not enroll a new hire or the new hire’s dependents retroactively.