Retirement FAQs

All pension contributions are paid by participating employers. No contributions are required from you nor are they permitted.

Generally, no. Pension payments are paid as a lifetime benefit unless the actuarial present value of your monthly lifetime benefit is less than $5,000.00.

All change of addresses must be submitted in writing to the Administrative Office located at 533 S. Fremont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90071-1706 or faxed to the Pension Department at (213) 739-9369. Address Change Form is available on this website.

If you are married, pension benefits will be paid to your surviving spouse, provided that you have been married at least 1 year prior to your death. If you are not married, your designated beneficiary will receive 36 monthly payments equal to the amount you would have received had you retired at age 65. 

Contact the Administrative Office or you may submit a written request to 533 S. Fremont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90071-1706.

It is recommended that you request an application and submit it to the Administrative Office 60 to 90 days prior to the date you wish to commence benefits.

Generally, 30 to 45 days from your effective date of retirement.

Pension checks are mailed the last business day of the month.

Yes. To sign up for direct deposit, you can contact the Administrative Office to request an Electronic Funds Transfer Form, or you can print the form from our website and mail or fax it to the Administrative Office.

You may change your Federal Tax Withholding by completing a new Withholding Form. The W-4P form can be printed from our website or you may contact the Administrative Office to request a form be mailed to you.

Yes, 1099-R’s are generally mailed out the last week of January every year.

No, once pension payments begin the form of payment cannot be changed.

Yes, your monthly benefit will be increased the month following his/her death, provided you file a copy of the death certificate within 12 months of the date of death.

Generally, no. Contact the Administrative Office for information regarding Prohibited Employment before and after Normal Retirement Age (65).

If you have not received your check by the tenth business day of the month, you must submit a written request to the Administrative Office to have the check re-issued. 

No, your spouse at the time of your retirement remains your designated beneficiary as your subsequent marriage or divorce will not affect survivor benefits. 

Yes, you must notify the Administrative Office in writing within 15 days of your return to work in Prohibited Employment. Your pension benefits will be suspended for any calendar month that you work and if you are under the age of 65, your pension benefits will be suspended for an additional 6 months upon your re-retirement.

You must submit a written request (benefit resumption notice) to reinstate your benefits, indicating your last day of work in Prohibited Employment. Your benefits will be recalculated to include additional accruals, if any, and reinstated after the suspension period is fulfilled and recovery of benefits owed, if any.

You may submit a detailed job description to the Pension Department requesting a determination be made if the type of work would be Prohibited Employment.